What is it?
Defined as a body mass index of 30 or greater, obesity is becoming more common in the US each year. Obesity is linked to many health complications, but this is not the whole picture, as there are many thin people who have health problems and overweight people do not always develop the health conditions associated with extra body fat. In addition, sometimes symptoms associated with unhealthy accumulations of fat arise even in clients with a normal or low body mass index.
- Approximately 33% of Americans are obese
- Associated with complications such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, osteoarthritis, liver disease, and sleep apnea
- Hormonal imbalance can cause or contribute to obesity
- Accumulations of fat produce hormones and other biochemicals
- Excess weight leads to dehydration and increased inflammation in the body
- Diet and exercise are important, but only part of the story
How do we treat it?
We look at you as an individual to determine where to begin the process. For many clients, accurate lab work, including hormonal levels, will be an initial part of evaluation. We will also likely evaluate your lifetime toxic exposure, which can contribute to obesity, as most toxins are fat soluble. If a toxic buildup occurs, fat cells may be the body’s best place to store those dangerous chemicals. Dealing with emotional aspects of obesity, also crucial to healing, will ensure that your internal patterns support your overall health. Every step of the way, our focus will be on health, as opposed to a number on the scale. We will work with you to optimize your health and achieve your weight goals.
[link type=”arrow-left” href=”http://acadiananaturalhealth.com/common-conditions”]Back to Common Conditions[/link]