What is it?
Often grouped with fibromyalgia and chemical sensitivity, chronic fatigue is a very real chronic diagnosis. Whether you are suffering from this specific condition or just find that you are regularly too tired to get through the day, severe fatigue can interfere with every aspect of your life. Fatigue can develop due to many issues, including hormonal imbalance, poor sleep quality, unrelenting stress, infection, and metabolic disturbances. While fatigue is a symptom of many other diseases, in and of itself it is a signal that something in the body is not functioning, as it should.
- Persistent or relapsing fatigue is a sign of improper function or stressful lifestyle
- 24% of US adults experience persistent fatigue lasting 2 weeks or longer
- In many of the above cases, fatigue persists longer than 6 months
- Fatigue can impair daily functioning and predisposes to accidents
- May not be alleviated by rest
- Lab work and diagnostic imaging may be indicated depending upon other symptoms
How do we treat it?
We understand fatigue to be a symptom, an indication that something is wrong. Key systems we will consider as we treat you include hormones, nervous system, and detox pathways. We may recommend heavy metal testing to determine whether your body has an increased toxic burden, or various hormonal testing to assess your body’s hormonal function. In each of these cases, we will work with you to alleviate the underlying cause of your fatigue. We will also investigate latent viruses or other infections if these might be an issue for you. In time, you will find that as your overall health improves, your energy will also increase.
[link type=”arrow-left” href=”http://acadiananaturalhealth.com/common-conditions”]Back to Common Conditions[/link]